Charles Bridge

Charles Bridge

Charles Bridge is the oldest preserved bridge over the Vltava river in Prague. It is formed by 16 arches and is nearly 516 metres long and 9.5 metres wide. There used to be a wooden bridge here, which was taken down by a flood in 1157. After that King Vladislav II built a stone bridge which was completed in 1172. This was the first Prague stone bridge and was named after King's wife Judith. This bridge was destroyed by a flood too, on 3rd February 1342.

 

The foundation stone of the new stone bridge was laid in 1357 and its construction proceeded under the auspices of King Charles IV. The bridge was completed in 1402 and reconnected Old Town and Lesser Quarter. The stone bridge also helped Prague become an important stop on trade roads. Its name Charles Bridge started to be used as late as around 1870 at the suggestion of Karel Havlíček Borovský. Charles Bridge was endangered by floods many times. In July 1432, five bridge pillars were torn down by a large flood, and the bridge was under repair until 1503. Another damage to Charles Bridge took place in 1890 when beams from gone off floats tore down two arches and damaged the third one. Two sculptures decorating the bridge fell down to the river.

 

Nowadays, Charles Bridge is an important and touristically attractive connection between Old Town Square (Old Prague) and Prague Castle. The bridge itself has its own charm which makes it one of the most remarkable sights in Prague.

20.12.2005 | Prague guide | Cities |
Charles Bridge
Na Karlově mostě
Charles Bridge
Charles Bridge
Charles Bridge
Charles Bridge
Your rating: None Average: 5 (1 vote)

User login